On May 3, I decided to go three months without Facebook, Twitter, Pintrist, Reddit or Goodreads to see if removing these obvious distractions from my routine helps me focus and be more productive. Here’s how it’s gone so far.
I was 9 years old when my cousin Ross taught me how to ride a bike. Sitting on the banana seat of a green Schwinn, at the top of a downward sloping driveway, he gave me this advice: Don’t stop pedaling.
My wobbly start picked up speed as I pedaled, terrified of crashing and impressed by every second I didn’t, all at the same time. I couldn’t believe I didn’t fall over immediately but pedaled on. I cruised down the driveway, straight across the street, into another driveway and crashed into the back of a parked station wagon. This was before anyone thought about helmets or pads as being important to, like safety and stuff. Other than a bump on the head, I was fine, no thanks to 1970’s safety awareness.
“You should have turned,” Ross said, helping me to my feet.
“You didn’t say anything about turning.”
“You should have hit the brakes.”
“Where is the brake?”
Still, the initial advice I was given was good. Don’t stop pedaling. That got me going and though I crashed, it gave me experience and confidence to build on and add new talents to my bike-riding repertoire, like braking and turning, and eventually, wheelies.
To this day, I follow that advice in my writing: Don’t stop pedaling. I crash, sometimes brutally. I get up and go again. And again. And sometimes, I pull off a wheelie.
I still don’t wear a helmet, though. I probably never will.
18 days to go until my social media hiatus is done, and I’m still pedaling.
And now, the Unplugged Memes of the Week:
- Unplugged From Social Media Update: Day 72 – Don’t stop pedaling (lifein64squarefeet.com)
- Unplugged From Social Media Update: Day 65 – The Guilt (lifein64squarefeet.com)
- Unplugged From Social Media: Day 44 (lifein64squarefeet.com)
- Unplugged From Social Media Update: Day 58 – Ch-ch-ch-changes (lifein64squarefeet.com)
- Unplugged From Social Media Update: Day 51 – First World Problems (lifein64squarefeet.com)
- Unplugged from Social Media: Day 37 (lifein64squarefeet.com)
- Don’t #Unplug From Technology (twistimage.com)